At this time, due to faculty/staff changes , we are not offering the Summer Institute in Psychiatry for Medical Students. We hope to offer this program in the future.
Thank you for your interest!
Available to medical students across the U.S., the Summer Institute in Psychiatry for Medical Students provides exciting, intensive experience in the specialty of psychiatry. This free, week-long institute consists of seminars and clinical exposure, and students receive a certificate of participation at the end of the program. Students entering M2, M3 and M4 are eligible, and we accept up to 12 applicants per year.
Sunday: Welcome dinner
Monday: Psychiatry residency training
Tuesday: Current issues in psychiatry
Wednesday: Med-Psych I
Thursday: Med-Psych II
Friday: Therapies beyond
Students participate in sessions covering a broad range of subjects, including:
- The components of psychiatry residency
- Brain imaging in psychiatry
- Demonstration of transcranial magnetic & vagal nerve stimulation
- Psychosocial assessment of gastric bypass surgery
- HIV psychiatry
- Using genetics to understand psychiatric illness
- Human-animal interaction & animal-assisted therapy
- Suicide assessment
- Women’s mental health
- Stigma of mental illness
- Neuropsychiatric manifestations of TBI
- Clinical observation of ECT
- Boundary issues in psychiatry
- Various team rounds: inpatient, outpatient, Virginia Treatment Center for Children, emergency department and electroconvulsive therapy
The institute is free of charge to all students, with housing and daily meals provided. Students are responsible for travel expenses.
How to Apply
Please contact our program coordinator, listed below, for application information. All applicants should include a one-page personal statement conveying their interest in the summer institute.